Do you have a knicker monster in your house? Wondering where have all the good knickers gone ?
Why not create your own handmade Children’s knickers?
Hello Collectives, I’m Liz from sew4bub.com and Thread Faction Studio and I am so grateful to Katie for inviting me over to guest post today. I have created a tutorial for how to make some girls knickers, along with a free sewing pattern for you.
Knickers are a relatively inexpensive item to buy, so you might be thinking why would you bother with handmade??
Well extreme cuteness for a start!
But as well as that, small projects like these are a great way to ease yourself into sewing with knits, if you need some practice, and are a fabulous and fast way to use up your pretty knit scraps.
So let’s get into it.
You will need:
- FREE Childrens knicker pattern (or alternative). This pattern comes in girls sizes 2 – 10
To download the FREE pattern, subscribe to the Sew4bub Weekly Newsletter (by clicking on this link). After you sign up (and confirm your email address, don’t forget to check your spam folder), you will receive access to the whole Sew4bub Free Pattern library Yay! (This is a password protected page – check your newsletter sign up email or latest newsletter for the password).
- Enough knit fabric to cut your pattern pieces from (amount varies with size).
- Some 10mm (3/8 “) lingerie elastic (it has pretty edging and a super soft surface that goes against the skin).
- Coordinating thread.
How to put it all together:
1. Cut your pattern pieces from your fabric, and your elastic lengths according to the chart provided in the pattern.
2. Place your front and back pieces together, with right sides facing and the crotch seam lined up.
Place your gusset piece right side down on your back pattern piece as shown and sew the crotch seam using a stretch stitch or your serger.
3. Lay your knickers out flat with the right side against the table and flip the gusset piece down so that it covers the crotch seam and baste it in the position shown.
4. Fold your knickers in half with right sides facing, and sew the side seams using a stretch stitch or your serger.
5. Form a loop with each of your elastic pieces overlapping the ends by about 1cm (3/8”) and secure with a few zigzag stitches.
6. Take the waistband elastic loop and your knickers. Line the flat edge of the elastic up with the top raw edge of the fabric with the right side of the elastic facing the right side of the fabric. Zigzag the elastic to the fabric close to the loopy side of the elastic as shown.
*Making sure that you stretch the elastic evenly around the top of the knickers (Divide both elastic and knickers into quarters or four and pin at the corresponding point can help with this step).
7. Flip the elastic to the inside and you will reveal the small decorated edge, with the remainder of the elastic covering the raw edge of the fabric on the inside.
8. Top stitch around the elastic securing the raw edge and the elastic on the inside. Use a zigzag stitch for this as you need plenty of stretch in your finished knickers.
Repeat steps 6 to 8 with the leg hole elastic and you have yourself a super cute pair of knickers
Now I am sorry that I don’t have any modeled shots of these, but I am pretty sure when my kiddo’s are teenagers they are not going to be keen on having shots of them in their knickers floating around on the internet! So flat/stack lays it is for today, but trust me, these are too cute. It is so satisfying to see those cute little bottoms running around in handmade knickers!
If you sew some knickers, be sure to grab some pics and hashtag them #SEW4BUB #THEHANDCRAFTEDCOLLECTIVE
We would love to see your creations!
Thank you Katie for having me today.